In this episode I chat to special guest, equestrian photographer, vlogger, blogger and all round legend, Sophie Callahan. You’ll know I love Sophie from, well, most of my content(!), but on this episode we’re talking about commercial photography. Commercial photography sounds a bit scary, but it isn’t – and more than that, it’s really important for your business. So, over to Sophie… and a huge thanks to her for her help with this episode.
Have a listen here…
Sophie Callahan on commercial photography
Show notes for the Small & Supercharged Podcast – Episode 3 – Sophie Callahan on commercial photography… what you’ll hear in this podcast episode…
- The scope of commercial photography, the kind of shots that can be taken and why. Sophie has done a lot of work for country and equestrian brands and she shares some quite eye-watering examples!
- How to organise a shoot, whether you’re a brand or service provider
- How to work out which photographer is the best one to suit your needs, what kind of questions to ask and more.
- Even though it’s a good idea to find a photographer whose style aligns with your business, a photographer will usually adjust their style, if requested, to align with your brand better… but it’s also important to remember why you chose them.
- You can be as involved (or not!) as you like. Some photographers will source models, locations and everything else – you just send the product. But there are opportunities to be more involved with your commercial shoot too.
- What to send your prospective photographers to ensure they understand your vision and can do what you need.
- Why it’s important to be clear about what you want to do with the images after the shoot. Images for social media, like Instagram, will be taken in portrait rather than landscape, for example.
- Copyright and what you can do with the images you have taken.
- The importance of communicating with your photographer to establish what you can and can’t do with the images you have taken.
- How you can cost shoots and possible different options available.
- How often you should have a shoot for your brand, whether it’s a service or product based business.
- Why phones are great, but the camera isn’t what you’re paying for!
- The importance of good photography on social media.
- The difference good photography can make, even to eBay sales.
- Combined shoots and how these can keep the cost of photography and commercial photoshoots down.
- The difference between lifestyle and packshot photography, if there’s a place for both and how to know which to pick.
- The value of using photographers who are skilled in your niche for lifestyle images – so using an equestrian photographer for your equestrian business, for example.
A HUGE thank you to Sophie Callahan for being an amazing podcast guest and for helping to demystify commercial photography. Sophie is EVERYWHERE on social media – here is where you can find her:
Thanks so much for dropping in. Don’t forget you can subscribe on Spotify, iTunes or Podcast Player, just search ‘Small & Supercharged Podcast’ or my name.