I know, the term coach fills so many people with dread. And I get it. A lot. But if you ignore your ideas of what a coach could be, and think about the ‘proper’ definition, things get a load clearer. Add the word business in front (as in, business coach) and you’re halfway there. So here’s five ways a business coach can help you and your business. There are more than five, of course, but to get you started…
What does ‘coach’ mean?
So, let’s think about sports coaches. These people have experience in what they’re doing, they help bring the best out of you, they guide you, they help you, they have your back. Sound good? Now, when I use the term coach here, or anywhere else on this site, THAT’S the kind of attitude and service I’m talking about. I won’t get you doing star jumps or running around a football pitch in all weathers, but channel that idea. So, with that in mind, here are five ways a business coach can help you.
Five ways a business coach can help you
- They’ll work with you to set goals. These might be for a year’s time, or for next month, or what you want to achieve in a certain timescale, but they should help you set goals.
- They’ll help you achieve these goals. Thinking of a goal is one thing, achieving is another. A business coach should be able to help you create a plan that will allow you to achieve your goals.
- They’ll help you look at other options. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut and not see the full range of what’s available, whether this is in terms of how to promote a product, people to work with, new ideas to promote your business. Having someone on the outside looking in can be really helpful.
- They’ll listen to your concerns and your current position and help you overcome your issues. And, if they can’t, they should be able to point you in the right direction, so you move forward.
- They’ll keep you accountable. Not in a way that makes you feel scared or worried, in a way that motivates, inspires and keeps you moving forward. They should be able to review your progress, with you, see what worked and what didn’t and address why and ways around it.
How could business coaching help you and your business?
Business coaching can be really useful for you and your business. It should inspire and motive, help you improve you business in whatever way you want, achieve things you didn’t think possible and work with you to achieve your goals. It’s an exciting process for the person being coached, but it’s also a process that should be exciting for the coach if they have a real interest in their business and their clients. I know I get a real ‘kick’ out of when my clients achieve, and they achieve often.
And is it expensive?
Have a look at the article I put together all about this very subject – is business coaching expensive?